The value of the Bitcoin virtual currency has hit a three-year high with each one now worth about $900 (£730).
At the start of 2016, single coins were only worth around $435 but their value has climbed steadily all year.
The steady upward progress has continued despite regular hack attacks on virtual currency exchanges in which coins have been stolen.
Experts said the rise in value was linked to the long-term depreciation of the Chinese Yuan.
The Chinese currency has dropped about 7% in value during 2016, said Reuters. The majority of Bitcoin currency trading takes place in China as it allows people to skirt restrictive local laws that limit how much money Chinese people can swap.
Charles Hayter, founder of the Cryptocompare website that watches virtual currencies, said global political uncertainty and Indian moves to control paper currency were also driving people to buy Bitcoins.
If those trends continued, he told Reuters, many more people may be tempted to buy Bitcoins as they could be seen as a "flight to safety".
Hackers have also been tempted by the rising value of the virtual coins. In August Hong Kong-based digital currency exchange Bitfinex suffered a major hack attack in which bitcoins worth $65m were thought to be taken.
Bitcoin values dropped about 10% when the news of the hack attack was made public
The virtual currency has yet to reach the heights it managed in late 2013 when each coin was worth more than $1,000. The total value of all bitcoins in circulation has now surpassed $14bn.
- This Infographic Shows Just How Much of The Ocean We Don`t See
- The Crazy Phenomenon of `Volcanic Thunder` Has Been Recorded For The First Time
- Cambridge Analytica: Facebook boss summoned over data claims
- New Audi A8 2018 review - the most high-tech car ever
- Astronomers Have Finally Looked Inside The Mysterious Voids of Our Cosmos
- Pressure mounts on Zuckerberg to face data breach concerns
- Hacker who gave up Wikileaks source dies
- Tech Tent: Facebook and Google police their platforms
- Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk
- WATCH: Top 7 INCREDIBLE Travel Destinations of 2018 | Where to Travel This Year!