The value of the Bitcoin virtual currency has hit a three-year high with each one now worth about $900 (£730).
At the start of 2016, single coins were only worth around $435 but their value has climbed steadily all year.
The steady upward progress has continued despite regular hack attacks on virtual currency exchanges in which coins have been stolen.
Experts said the rise in value was linked to the long-term depreciation of the Chinese Yuan.
The Chinese currency has dropped about 7% in value during 2016, said Reuters. The majority of Bitcoin currency trading takes place in China as it allows people to skirt restrictive local laws that limit how much money Chinese people can swap.
Charles Hayter, founder of the Cryptocompare website that watches virtual currencies, said global political uncertainty and Indian moves to control paper currency were also driving people to buy Bitcoins.
If those trends continued, he told Reuters, many more people may be tempted to buy Bitcoins as they could be seen as a "flight to safety".
Hackers have also been tempted by the rising value of the virtual coins. In August Hong Kong-based digital currency exchange Bitfinex suffered a major hack attack in which bitcoins worth $65m were thought to be taken.
Bitcoin values dropped about 10% when the news of the hack attack was made public
The virtual currency has yet to reach the heights it managed in late 2013 when each coin was worth more than $1,000. The total value of all bitcoins in circulation has now surpassed $14bn.
- Samsung Galaxy A5, Galaxy A7 (2018) Spotted on Wi-Fi Certification Site, Following US FCC Debut
- Twitter Confirms It Is Testing a `Tweetstorm` Feature on Android, iOS
- Top 10 Scariest Giant Creatures
- Sweden`s Incredibly Rare White Moose Was Nearly Killed Earlier This Week
- Skype Loses Belgian Court Appeal After It Fails to Comply With Call Data Order
- Razer IPO: Gaming Firm Rises More Than 40 Percent in Hong Kong Debut
- Trees in Some Cities Grow Faster Than in The Wild, And Here`s The Crazy Reason Why
- NASA Finally Has Stunning Photos of The Giant Iceberg That Broke Off Antarctica
- TOP 6 Best home security systems that are really cool (NEW) wireless security system
- WhatsApp: Deleted Sent Messages Can Still Be Read by Recipients