Whilst we all know that modern times are bringing about more machinery to do the jobs that humans once did, and we spend time fascinating over the new, exciting, and often time-saving equipment, we don’t often stop to question what happened to those people who have now been replaced by, essentially, a modern day robot.
During a recent interview with CNBC, Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk said that he believes that the solution to taking care of those workers who have been innovated out of existence by new robots and software, is to create a universal basic income for everyone.
He said, “there’s a pretty good chance we end up with a universal basic income, or something like that, due to automation. I’m not sure what else one would do. That’s what I think would happen.”
Whilst the idea sounds like a positive way to help those people, especially in a time where we rely less and less on people to help us with accessing a range of things from fast food and banks, to customer services and deliveries, the proposed solution doesn’t seem to fit with the way that the world is travelling in other sectors.
During a time where services that other nations offer to their citizens for free, such as health care and college education, is quickly putting many users of those things into huge debt or even bankruptcy, is there a chance that the government would consider a universal basic income in the midst of it all?
Whilst many CEOs of major companies are ignoring the looming human job loss crisis due to continuous advances in technology, it can be seen as a positive that one of the most high profile innovators in the world is pushing this issue into the spotlight, which companies cannot ignore forever.
Although Musk does not have a clear plan of how to get the universal income status in place, he believes that if we do get there, then it will solve a lot of worries and open up a new chapter in human life.
Let’s hope that others follow the lead and work on a solution to this crisis before it gets out of hand.
About The Author
Jess Murray is a wildlife filmmaker and conservation blogger, having recently returned from studying wildlife and conservation in South Africa, she is now striving to spread awareness about the truth behind faux conservation facilities throughout the world.
- This Infographic Shows Just How Much of The Ocean We Don`t See
- The Crazy Phenomenon of `Volcanic Thunder` Has Been Recorded For The First Time
- Cambridge Analytica: Facebook boss summoned over data claims
- New Audi A8 2018 review - the most high-tech car ever
- Astronomers Have Finally Looked Inside The Mysterious Voids of Our Cosmos
- Pressure mounts on Zuckerberg to face data breach concerns
- Hacker who gave up Wikileaks source dies
- Tech Tent: Facebook and Google police their platforms
- Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk
- WATCH: Top 7 INCREDIBLE Travel Destinations of 2018 | Where to Travel This Year!